The Winnebago Housing Authority (WCHA) (dba NI ReACH) is issuing a competitive Request for Proposals (RFP) from experienced rental housing providers to receive Project-Based assistance for rehabilitation and/or new construction. The housing must be located within Winnebago and Stephenson County, Illinois. WCHA’s goals for project basing Housing Choice Voucher assistance are to increase and preserve affordable rental housing opportunities for lower-income Winnebago County, Illinois households.
Through this RFP, the Authority intends to make up to six (6) Mainstream Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) available for Project-Based assistance for an initial term of 20 years. Contract terms may be extended subject to federal appropriations and contract performance. No more than 25% of units in any one project may receive Project-Based assistance with the exception of single-family dwellings, developments for elderly or disabled families, and developments that offer supportive services. Units proposed for Project-Based assistance must be vacant or occupied by a lower-income household, not receiving tenant-based assistance on the date of submission. After that, all new occupants must result from a referral from the WCHA waiting list. In addition, the owner must certify that tenants have not been displaced to qualify for a unit. Preference will be given to proposals which meet the following criteria:
- De-concentration of poverty and expanding housing and economic opportunities.
- Provide rental housing located in census tracts with poverty rates less than 20%
- Create more affordable housing through the construction or rehab to create affordable housing units.
- Create more affordable housing within walking distance of services, amenities, and public transit.
- Provide additional affordable units targeted to households at or below 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI).
- Proposals with longer contract terms.
Successful submissions will receive letters of commitment for HCV Project-Based funding and, eventually, the execution of Agreement to Enter in Housing Assistance Payment Contracts (AHAP) for the initial term of the proposal. Units proposed for Project-Based assistance may be subject to HUD Environmental and Subsidy Layering Reviews before issuance of the AHAP contract.
To be considered, email copies of proposals complying with the terms and conditions of the application must be submitted. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. on November 8, 2023.
For more informtion, please contact Alan Zais at AZais@nireach.org.